The largest purchase you will every make will probably be your home. It is very important to understand the ins and outs of your mortgage. Knowing what questions to ask will help reduce the confusion and save you a ton of money in the long run. There are many types of home loans and rates available to Greenville home buyers.
Below is a list of the top 20 mortgage questions you should ask before buying a home. Asking these questions could save you thousands of dollars on your next loan.
- What types of loans do you offer?
- Do you have a program for first time home buyers?
- Do you have a down payment or closing cost assistance program?
- What is the interest rate you are offering?
- How do I know this is the best rate for me?
- Will you match a lower rate if I find one somewhere else?
- Does this rate change over the life of the loan? If so, how?
- If they offer you a ARM (Adjustable Rate Mortgage), Ask what is the highest rate I will pay if the rate resets?
- How much will it cost me to lock in a rate?
- What is the estimated closing cost for the loan?
- Can you please explain the APR (Annual Percentage Rate) and what that means to me?
- Am I paying points? If so, what are they and why?
- Am I paying PMI (Private Mortgage Insurance). How can I get out of paying PMI?
- Are there any prepayment penalties?
- What are my monthly payments?
- Are you sure you can close this loan on time?
- After getting a loan through you, can I quickly speak with a person about my loan if I have any questions?
- Can you explain your fees?
- Will you hold my loan or sell it?
- Do you escrow taxes and insurance?
We work with a few well educated lenders who will help you navigate the stormy waters of home mortgages.